Thursday, October 31, 2013

Beer and Kisses

This is a painting called beer and kisses by Tracy Miller.  Tracy and I used to work together at Galison.  I  was jealous of how she was able to paint things in front of other things and play with perspective, and wished I could do that with words.  Tracy has an opening coming up in Washington DC very soon (info below).  Here is a poem I wrote a few years back in response to this painting.




If It Seems I Do Nothing
for Tracy Miller


On the verge of a breakthrough/ breakdown

my so-called creative core has pores

soft spots, shower clogs up, it all gets blended

with roommate's lost skin.

When you wake with a bite

you're supposed to accept that a bug

was in your bed while you slept

carting new ideas and itchy sores.

Clipped thoughts fly in and out of sight

as I shoot toenails across the room and

envy her use of in-front-of-and-behind.

I must find a way to squirt words

through a cake decorator tip.   Paint big

    and little sushi.  

Paint pecan pie on a paper doily. 
Here is another one of Tracy Miller's paintings.  This one is called soft serve. 
Tracy's exhibit info: 
Tracy Miller: Big Paintings 1997-2013
Survey of paintings from the past 16 years at American University Museum at Katzen Arts Center, 4400 Massachusetts Ave. NW,
Washington, District of Columbia 20016Curated by Tim Doud
November 5-December 15, opening November 9 from 5-8pm


1 comment:

Unknown said...

aw, I miss you, Denise. Thank you for spending time with sushi paintings. Let's get beer soon, please?